How do you work out the welfare arrangements for your children?

The Family Law Act requires that you try and resolve any disputes by negotiation as to the future arrangements for the children before taking action in court to seek parenting orders.

In accordance with the pre action procedures requirements under the Family Law Act, if you do in fact decide to seek parenting orders through the court system, then you must file with the court a certificate issued by an accredited family dispute resolution service as to the attempts you have made to seek a resolution to the dispute.

There are some exceptions to this requirement to comply with these pre action procedures. There may exist for example circumstances which raise allegations of child abuse or family violence. Alternatively the situation may require urgent action, for example, there is risk of an abduction of the child overseas.

For more information please consult the website of the Family Relationship Centre. www.familyrelationships.gov.au or telephone the helpline on 1800 050 321.

For more information on the pre action procedures required please consult the website of the Family Court www.familylawcourts.gov.au. Alternatively you may prefer to speak to the Registry of the court on telephone 1800 352 000.

Contact Fay

Email or call on 0416 196 541.

Fay will respond to you personally within 24 hours to discuss your enquiry.